If you want change your you must follow these top 6 rules Easy stuff. These are no brainers.
- Lift heavy. If you want strength, muscle definition, and body fat loss then you must lift heavy and carry heavy shit. I’m not talking about being a body builder or a strongman. You need to challenge yourself. Be a man. This isn’t about “oh it’s too uncomfortable” or “it looks hard”. It’s supposed to be difficult. Get uncomfortable and put your ego aside and lift. I promise you that you will see results and build yourself up physically and mentally.
- Exercise at least 3 times a week. Period. You want change 3xs a week will do it. Research is out there that at least 3xs week of intense exercise will produce results.
- The 2 Ps. Portions and Produce. A big rule for the top 6 rules for a lifestyle change. Small portions through out the day. That means at lease 4-5 small meals a day. No need to hog down 1200 calorie meals at one sitting. Your body is on calorie overload. You feel sluggish and everything is slowing down. Why, because you just ingested most of your total daily calories at one meal. Now your body now has to take time to absorb and digest everything you just ate. Produce, eat more produce. That means fruits and vegetables. Brandon Buchard said it best when he was researching high performers, (I’m paraphrasing) “produce and portions equals productivity”. Not just talking about athletes. You want results? Produce will get you there. Don’t be a baby and whine about not liking vegetables or the classic “I’m a picky eater”. Bullshit. It’s an excuse. There are many ways to help enhance the flavor of food. Experiment and find a solution. Here’s a tip. Focus on the ones you know you like or can tolerate and go from there. Keep it simple.
- Water. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. There is no definitive answer to how much water to drink. A lot of doctors will recommend drink half your body weight in ounces or drink 8 8 ounce glasses a day. I say if you’re not drinking any water then you need to start. Sodas, juices, and most sports drinks are empty calories and do nothing more than make you crave more of them. So where should you start? I recommend the 8 8 ounce glass rule. Start there. Research shows that those who are productive and successful no matter the occupation drink 4-6 liters of water a day. There are many benefits to proper hydration. That’s a post for another day. Here are two. One, it flushes out toxins from the body. Two, it helps aid in digestion and keeps you intestines lubricated so the food can be absorbed and pushed through.
- Get rid of junk food. Chips, cookies, sodas, boxed stuff, whatever. It’s time to let go. Stop buying it. I won’t tell you need to throw everything away right now and go cold turkey because that’s rarely successful. But, you need to stop buying it when you’re grocery shopping. If you can’t do that then stop buying the family size or cases of anything. Go small and then eventually eliminate.
- Sleep. You want productivity and results? Then you need to sleep at least 7-8 hours. This is my downfall sometimes. I know I need to get better rest. Sometimes I”m about 6-7 hours. I know I need more. I can tell. If you’re that type that says oh no I’ve been operating on 5-6 hours a sleep for years and I’m fine. No you’re not. I bet you get sluggish a lot, low energy feeling, and searching for caffeine. The probably? You’ve been conditioned. You’ve been in this state so long you can’t tell anymore. It feels normal. But it’s not. Body and mind need to rest, recovery, build to produce clarity. Brendan Buchard talks about this. High performers get rest. Period.
There you have it. The top 6 rules for a lifestyle change. Lift and Exercise 3xs a week, drink water, portions and produce, eliminate junk food, and sleep 7-8 hrs a day.